Monday, February 27, 2012

a mixture of rain and sunshine


The last few weekends have been quite busy, with Fashion Week finally winding down and schoolwork picking back up as midterms near. Last weekend, my friend (and occasional muse) Kelsie came to visit.

I took Kelsie to many of my favorite spots, including Central Park, where we strolled around with my good friend and fellow Californian, Hilary who hadn't been up to the Park since she came to NYU.


I stay fairly central to Downtown out of convenience, but I've been to Midtown/Times Square area three times in the past two weeks. Times Square is a fun sight with its lights that emulate a daytime atmosphere at all hours of the evening. No matter how corny and overrated Times Square is in my mind, when I'm standing there amongst all the moving advertisements and news tickers, I understand how strange and wonderful it is that I live here.


Two nights later I ended up back in Times Square, coincidentally, with my friend Luka, where we went to a tucked away Japanese restaurant for a midnight dinner.


My third encounter in Times Square was this past Friday, to visit a wonderful family friend, Dennis, who lives just a block from all the glamour and lights of Times Square. Dennis' niece was visiting and he was so kind to invite me to join them for a lovely dinner and show combo.

We went to Barbetta, an authentic Italian restaraunt in the heart of the Theater District that's been around for more than 100 years. As soon as we walked through the door, I felt as if I had walked into another time period, something remniscient of the 40s or 50s. The dining area was adorned with beautiful chandeliers and everyone was dressed impeccably in classy garb.


After dinner, we went to see "Wit" starring Cynthia Nixon as a dying cancer patient. The play, which has won the Pulitzer Prize, was absolutely amazing. Cynthia Nixon really established a wonderful presence on stage. I'm not too much of a theatergoer but I was entranced by her evocative performance and the plot.

On Saturday I made my way to the Juergen Teller exhibition with my friend Vanessa and her friend Zoe who was visiting for the weekend.


I was very impressed by Teller's pieces, it's so intriguing to see his more personal work, as I am more often exposed to his fashion-related work with clients such as Marc Jacobs. We strolled through a few more galleries in the neighborhood and then walked home through Soho.

We stumbled upon Georgetown Cupcakes, which just opened on Mercer Street and has absolutely delicious, carefully crafted cupcakes for the reasonable price of $3 (tax included).



The most exciting part of Saturday, though, lasted only a few seconds. As Vanessa, Zoe, and I headed further up Mercer Street and towards Houston, we walked right past the Grace Coddington, Creative Director of American Vogue. It was so funny, since the three of us had been talking about Grace earlier that day and Zoe's phone background is a picture of Grace. I guess that's New York for you. Grace was on the phone so we decided not to bother her, but I'm sure if I've seen her twice in two weeks, we'll likely run into her again someday.


Listening to: "Origins" by Tennis
I'll be seeing them in concert within the next two weeks, so excited!



P.S. I can't believe it's almost March?!

3 comments:

  1. Hi there! Just wanted to comment on how exquisite your photographs look. I just want to be in NYC just by looking at them. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photographs. You are very talented. http://jennybodell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete