Thursday, June 20, 2013

england, april 2013



For the first week of my two-week-long spring vacation Metin and I traveled to England, spending most of our time in London with the exception of a day trip excursion to the seaside town of Brighton.

London had long been at the top of my list of places to visit, and it was incredible how quick and easy it was to take a two-hour high speed train directly there from Paris. As soon as we arrived at St. Pancras International, it was disorienting yet comforting to hear the familiar sound of the English language being spoken. As much as I'd improved in speaking French over the previous months, I was much in need of a mental break...constant back-and-forth translation can tire the mind.

The week sort of blurs together, as a few days were lost when I came down with a fever and was too weak to go out and sightsee for part of our trip. But for the most part, we were able to visit most all of the 'sights'.

The dreary weather of London is no myth, but on one of the earlier days of our trip we witnessed some beautiful rainy weather. No sarcasm intended, the rain was a positive, it was only light mist and what followed was a beautiful sunset of pink and yellow that framed Big Ben in the distance as we stood over by Buckingham Palace. Unfortunately I only have Instagram'd photographs of that particular sunset...but here are some film and digital photographs from my week in the UK!


One of the most exciting 'sights' for me was the Tate Modern, a museum I'd been dreaming of visiting for years. 


London was completely different from what I expected, I hope to explore more of its diverse neighborhoods in the future. Though, I think my favorite part of the week was when Metin & I visited the sweet Lauren Maccabee in Brighton. Lauren showed us all around the town with its charming streets lined with shops and caf├ęs. People were SO friendly and happy and eager to start conversations. The weather wasn't overcast but not quite sunglasses worthy, it was breezy and pleasant. 


Metin, Lauren and I drank beers on the beach for a few hours and Maisie Cousins dropped by to chat as well. As seen from my previous post concerning Marseilles & Cassis, I'm starting to find myself falling in love with beach towns. 


Posts with photos from Berlin, Rome, and Spain coming sooooon.

P.S. I'm back in NYC full-time as of last week!


xx jacqueline harriet

2 comments:

  1. So glad you had a good time! I can't wait to visit London myself in a few months. Xx

    ReplyDelete